- patient positioned erect in AP position unless trauma the patient will be supine
- patient’s shoulders should be at equal distances from the image receptor to avoid rotation, the head facing straight forward.
- at the last instant, the patient is instructed to open their mouth as wide as possible
- the head should be positioned so the lower margin of the upper incisors and the base of the skull are perpendicular to the image receptor
- do not move the head in trauma, angle the central accordingly